Minor League Strength & Conditioning Coach
Organization: Cleveland Guardians
Purpose: Our mission in Player Development is to develop players and staff who create our foundation for winning the World Series. We are looking for a Strength & Conditioning Coach who will be responsible for implementing the Guardians organizational S&C philosophy with Minor league players, to optimize performance and durability through the delivery of intensive, integrated, and collaborative solutions. During the regular season, the position will be based at either a Guardians Minor League Affiliate (OH or VA) or the Player Development Complex (AZ), with Spring Training and off-season responsibilities in Goodyear, AZ. Primary year-round responsibilities include but are not limited to the following practices:
- Development and implementation of holistic, evidence-based S&C programs, that address the specific needs of both the players’ fundamental goal(s) and individual physical development.
- Provide the highest quality of care and instruction to athletes, as it relates to physical development.
- Contribute to physical testing of MnL athletes and associated data collection/management.
- Support the collection of training data and monitoring data, to individualize player care.
- Communicate both within- and cross-departmental, and domain/front office leadership.
- Assist other physical development training including, but not limited to, off-season camps and remote coaching.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- S&C Program Design & Implementation: Create and implement holistic, evidence-based, strength and conditioning programs, that address the specific needs of player performance, durability, and physical development.
- Develop individualized player plans consistent with current best practices for exercise/activity selection, including but not limited to, movement preparation, strength and power development, conditioning, speed, agility, and Rehab/preventive exercises.
- As part of a multidisciplinary performance team, ensure an optimal training environment for affiliate players.
- Align S&C plans with baseball workloads, player readiness, medical, and well-being considerations.
- Collaborate with other domain staff/coaches/coordinators to create an optimal (re)integration to performance for return-to-play athletes.
- Coordinate all daily S&C activities to ensure seamless workflow and precise training schedules, in collaboration with other affiliate staff. Including, but not limited:
- Daily operations and maintenance of the affiliate training facility (Field, Weight room, etc.).
- Coaching / Skill Acquisition: Deliver world-class coaching practices to maximize player learning and development.
- Employ evidence-based teaching & coaching methodologies, to optimize training session plans.
- Enhance players’ movement skill development, through motor learning best practices.
- Provide feedback to players on program execution and training efforts of S&C work.
- Support Player Goal Process: Contribute to organizational processes of player assessments, goal creation, follow-up, and programmatic adjustments.
- Assist in the collection of all relevant data/information required for affiliate players’ physical assessment, including but not limited to: Movement screens, Body Composition, Strength, Power, Speed, Agility, and Energy System testing.
- Ensure programming addresses goals outlined by the organization, in support of fundamental goals.
- Provide routine feedback/reports (to players, coaches, coordinators, front office, and other domains) on player progress.
- Individual Athlete Monitoring: Support organizational practices for monitoring player workloads, readiness, and well-being.
- Ensure routine and accurate collection of training load data as it relates to Strength & Conditioning loads of affiliate players.
- Assist with routine and accurate collection of players’ wellness and training responses/readiness data.
- Inform program modification to support player performance or recovery, based on objective information.
Education & Experience Requirements and Preference:
- Bachelor’s degree in Exercise Physiology, Sport Science, Physical Therapy, or Athletic Training (or related field).
- CSCS Certified.
- Minimum 2 years of experience as an S&C Coach within a professional, private, or collegiate program.
- Bilingual (Spanish) desirable.
- Master’s degree in athletic performance field(s) preferred.
- Must be a highly collaborative individual with a drive to serve others. Skill to relate in many different environments and the ability to hold self to the highest standards of excellence.
- Requires an open-minded, curious candidate, with an unyielding desire to learn and grow.
- Specialized knowledge across Athletic Performance, Programming, Movement and how-to apply the disciplines to rehabbing baseball athletes.
- Routine physical activity including lifting and carrying heavy weights, at least 80 lbs.
- Represents the Cleveland Guardians in a positive fashion to all business partners and the general public.
- Reads, speaks, comprehends, and communicates English effectively in all communications.
- Ability to develop and maintain successful working relationships with members of the Front Office.
- Ability to always act according to the organizational values and service excellence.
- Ability to work with diverse populations and have a demonstrated commitment to social justice.
- Ability to walk, sit, or stand for an entire shift.
- Ability to work extended days and hours, including holidays and weekends.
- Ability to move throughout all areas and levels of the Ballpark.
- Ability to work in a diverse and changing environment.
The Cleveland Guardians are committed to developing and maintaining an environment that embraces all forms of diversity to enrich our core values, enhance our competitive position, strengthen our impact within our community, and foster a greater sense of belonging for our employees.
In this spirit, we know studies have shown that people from historically underserved groups – including women and people of color – are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job and understand that the candidate may bring certain skills and experiences to the role that are not listed above, but that would add tremendous value to our organization. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet all the above requirements.
Please Email Your Resume to email@example.com